Welcome to my author's passions

This blog, is what I am passionate about, where I can share with you. Reviews, tips, hints, real help if I can, where you can share what you are passionate about!


Tuesday 5 April 2011

Who was or still is your favorite Chidren's author

What children's author inspired you and why?

The first intention was to blog about my  favourite childhood Author. Then I realised apart from the odd Enid Blyton my reading was directed by my schooling. What I  needed to study and pass exams and then I remembered  Walt Disney and Hans Christian Andersen.
How could I have forgotten the magic of the many many tales of Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Sleeping beauty Snow White and Seven drawfes. 
Hansel and Gretel, The 3 little pigs, I could go on but I realised books were not the main feature I remembered from my childhood. 
Comics, I used to "borrow" my brothers Dandy and Beno, I was a Jackie fan, with the latest heart throb adorning my wall. Donny Osmond was my hero and I still have a soft spot for now. My music tastes varied but thats another blog!
It was not until children arrived and I reread stories to them that I really started to look at the authors. 
One stood out,  Roal Dahl and my son's favourite was fantastic Mr Fox. I became convinced however he knew the book off by heart and was not really reading it.
 I  wanted to expand his reading and it was about the time when there was a buzz around that i did not understand. So eager to find out what it was and found  Harry Potter and the author JK Rowling.
By then book three had been leased (not knowing any of this as I was too working night shifts as a cardiac nurse).
So I went out on a day off and purchased all three in paperback.
  Sat up in bed, I discovered it was a real page turner.  Harry Potter and the Philosphers Stone, it was a different world of magic and mayhem.
The next morning.  I simply said to my son.  Please read this if you get page 5 and you didn't like it it's okay.  Deep down I knew he would be hooked as I was. 

Then became  fun waiting for films to come out and each book in hardback as soon as it was released.  Yes, my husband and daughter went to a store at midnight to buy a book for me on release and we sat up  most the night to read it .My husband has the photograghic proof!

My son,  by this time was away in the Royal Navy but still bought the books when he could. We often would have friendly family competitions guessing where the story was going. It was something for all the family to enjoy around a  time when often you feel you can use touch with your teenagers, Harry Potter series of books and films shared some of the magic.  My son has since moved on to Dan Brown and the Eragon  series. I can visulise him on his ship somewhere enjoying a good book.

So what story or author inspired you to have a positive impact on you and your family?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or feedback all will be responded to, love to hear from you.