Welcome to my author's passions

This blog, is what I am passionate about, where I can share with you. Reviews, tips, hints, real help if I can, where you can share what you are passionate about!


Wednesday 22 June 2011

My passionate escape!

I was very fortunate to grow up in South west England, never too far the countryside or the beach. Now whilst I love to walk along a country lane, field or meadow or when fitter try to climb mountains with my husband.


I actually crave the sea, I did not realise how much, until for work and career purposes I moved away to Northern England to where my first novel is based. Often on my days off from training to be a nurse, I would miss the smell of the sea air, the sound of the ocean. It was pretty land locked where I trained. There was beautiful and very famous countryside as I was not far from Howarth and Bronte land. Many a time I would sit in a cafe, people watching, storing facts for my future stories.

If I had sufficient time off I could explore the wilds of Yorkshire and it too has spurned many a story. Barbara Taylor Bradford set her Harte series in Yorkshire and although through the books you moved to London, Australia and America her roots were from Yorkshire.

No although the Yorkshire wilds were truly lovely, they were not the sea. I later returned to the South West to raise a family and share my passions with them. My son loved the sea so much, he joined the Royal Navy.

Recently you would have read that I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and part of my treatment was relaxation therapy. Me relax Huh!! That had always been a problem, soothing whale song would drive me nuts, mediation was an art I could not master. How this lady was going to get me to relax I did not know.

Well we all learn something new everyday, we started with deep breathing which to be honest I do find relaxing but can't always switch off, the Occupational therapist summed up my problem, I needed to find my inner calm or my passion. There it was the beach, slowly she taught me how to deep breathe and within a few moments I was there at my beach. She told me to feel the sand between my toes, the warmth of the sun on my face that I was safe and calm. Really her work was done when she mentioned the beach, that is where my inner calm, my passionate soul craves for. Where we live now is a few hours away from the nearest beach but I can now be there in my mind's eye in an instant.

I can walk along the beach, feel the sand, see the seaweed, smell the ocean, hear the water lapping around my feet, the waves crashing on the shore. I feel at home, at peace. We are planning to move back close to the beach in approximately 18 months from now but I no longer need to pine for the sea because I carry it with me all the time.

The moment I start to feel stressed, in pain, unhappy; I can sit back, take some deep breathes and I am there, can you imagine where your passionate place is? We all have a place where our souls feel at home. Mine is not my literal home but in my minds eye that beach probably in North Devon with miles of golden sand and very little else around. You walk far enough and you leave the families, surfers and sunbathers behind to peace and quiet, just the ocean and you.

If you take one thing from this post today, think where is your passionate place? Where does your soul feel at home at peace?

If your happy to share your happy place, I would love to hear from you. Until Friday take care and come back soon :-)

12 comments:

  1. Lesley - What an interesting topic!! I think all of us have that sort of place, and I can certainly see why the ocean is so important to you. Right now, I live about 10km from the sea, and it does have quite a pull, doesn't it? I've spent lots of holiday time at various seaside places, and there is something that's very compelling...

    As I read your post, I was also thinking of Elly Griffiths' Ruth Galloway novels, which also have seaside settings. If you haven't read them, you may be interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blog, and I can so relate. For me, it is the sea too. Always, the sea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was not until she mentioned it, I realised how I craved the ocean. These blogs are all about my passions to expand to a wider readership, already planning Friday's post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mariam, you might want to read the earlier blogs re my top seven passions, this is what I am going to blog about 3 times a week! Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you, I find being by the sea very relaxing and calming, any time of year will do. Love the new look blog. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, Lesley.
    When I am walking it always feels more natural to be going towards the sea rather than away from it.

    My sister had hypnotherapy a little while ago to help her with her fear of flying. She was told to "go" to her most special place, which turned out to be my garden! (As you know, this is in the South West - near the sea).

    There's a lot to be gained from concentrating on something outside of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Rebecca, hope your feeling a whole lot better soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Rachel, We can't wait till we move to be nearer to that South West coastline!

    ReplyDelete
  9. aaaaaaaaaah the sea,love it,am priveledged to live less than a mile from it with the most beautiful view aross the bay.I am blesssed.even though its a wickedy cold wind in wintertime.
    I think my happy place is just outside Scrborough Castle looking over the town and sea .This is where we spread mums ashes,happy childhood memories/the smell of the sea/fish&chips and candy floss.The sounds of whirring amusements.Brill.
    Effie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Effie, I am very jealous, you are so close to the sea but we will be there one day. I can just visulise you with said candy floss too lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's lovely :) Sounds like what they teach you when you do hypnotherapy for birthing. I'm so glad it's so helpful to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I suppose it is a form of Hypnotherapy, it certainly relaxs me to take me to my special beach far quicker than I could drive there!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or feedback all will be responded to, love to hear from you.